Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Exploring Wiki's

The best way for me to describe a Wiki is to get you to watch this great YouTube video.



I think that this video is a really straightforward way of explaining a wiki.

Here is a link to a library wiki called "The blogging libraries wiki". The purpose of this wiki is to collect links to library blogs, that is institutional blogs, not individual librarian blogs.







To be honest I didn't find the Wiki's to be particularly interesting. But maybe that is purely because I don't tend to use them a lot. We have been using a Wiki as part of our course unit and it has been quite helpful and fun. I am glad that I have been able to learn how to use one and do feel that it has a valid place out there in the world.



Wiki's can be used for collaboration. For instance for collarborative document editing, collarboratively-developed manuals, conference wiki's, planning and organising events.



There are a few different Wiki's that I would like to see set up within the Polytechnic library, such as favourite authors, study groups etc.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks Helen

    Great to see the wiki in plain English embedded into your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I have these for my 'eventual' blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The in plain english YouTube videos are good. I was able to get one about RSS feeds (thanks by the way) I haven't really started wikis yet and i was a bit nervous about it. watching this video has really helped

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have seen the 'Wiki in Plain English' video. It enlightened me. I love your background for your blog site.

    ReplyDelete